Who likes to pay taxes? Hmm, no hands! It is our civic duty but there is a way to legally not pay taxes for one weekend in South Carolina. Beginning 12:01 a.m. on the first Friday in August and ending at twelve midnight the following Sunday you will be able to find many items tax free!
Items that you can buy tax free include:
• clothing accessories including, but not limited to, hats, scarves, hosiery, and handbags;
• school supplies including, but not limited to, pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks, books, bookbags, lunchboxes, and calculators;
• computers, printers and printer supplies, and computer software;
• bath wash clothes, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs and mats, pillows, and pillow cases.
The exemption allowed by this item does not apply to:
• sales of jewelry, cosmetics, eye wear, wallets, watches;
• sales of furniture;
• a sale of an item placed on layaway or similar deferred payment and delivery plan however described;
• rental of clothes or footwear;
• a sale or lease of an item for use in a trade or business.
For a complete list of what is and what is not included, go to the South Carolina Department of Revenue:
Photo courtesy of flickr