Myrtle Beach celebrates Military Appreciation Days during the month of May with a full schedule of activities. National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos is our 2017 Grand Marshal for the Military Appreciation Days parade on Saturday, May 27. Come honor the men, women and families of our Armed Forces during the fun things to do during the month of May.
Army National Guard Specialist Alek Skarlatos was awarded the United States Army Soldier’s Medal and the French Legion of Honour for his heroic actions on a Paris-bound train in August 2015. Alek and two childhood friends made international headlines when they overpowered a gunman who was threatening the passengers.
He subsequently was invited to compete on Season 21 of ABC TV’s hit show, “Dancing with the Stars,” finishing in third place with professional partner Lindsay Arnold. Skarlatos recently completed a tour of duty in Afghanistan and continues to be a member of the Oregon National Guard. As Grand Marshal, he will lead this year’s parade, then greet fans afterwards at the Family Picnic in Valor Memorial Garden on Farrow Parkway.
The Military Appreciation Days Parade returns to the site of the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, now known as The Market Common. The parade steps off at 10:30 a.m., Saturday, May 27, and travels Howard Avenue and Farrow Parkway. We expect this year’s parade to be one of the biggest and best ever! Parade entry forms are available now, so sign up!
- Horry County JROTC Drill Meet 9:00 a.m., Saturday, May 6, Pelicans Stadium
Military Family Members Event (Blue Star Mothers) 12:00 p.m., Saturday, May 6, Picnic Area, Pelicans Stadium
- Military Appreciation Dinner Dance 6:00 p.m., Thursday, May 25, Ballroom, Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel (Call City Hall at 843-918-1008 for tickets to the dance! $30 per person.)
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Baseball Game honoring military veterans 7:05 p.m. (gates open at 5:00 p.m.), Saturday, May 13, TicketReturn.Com Field
- M.O.A.A. Grand Strand Golf Tournament 12:00 p.m. registration and lunch; 2:00 p.m. shotgun start Thursday, May 25, Heritage Golf Course
- Military Appreciation Days Parade 10:30 a.m., Saturday, May 27, Farrow Parkway, The Market Common
- Family Picnic, Alek Skarlatos, Music, Exhibits and more 12:00 p.m., Saturday, May 27, Valor Memorial Garden, The Market Common
- Memorial Day Veterans March, Ocean Boulevard 9:00 a.m. Monday, May 29, Ocean Boulevard, from 16th Avenue North to Ninth Avenue North
- Memorial Day Remembrance Ceremony 11:00 a.m., Monday May 29, Plaza, Myrtle Beach Convention Center
- Memorial Day Tribute Film 2:00 p.m., Monday May 29, Grand 14 Cinemas, The Market Common
During May, military personnel and their families also can look for discounts to area restaurants and attractions, so that they can enjoy the activities.
For more about Myrtle Beach’s 2017 Military Appreciation Days, including the exhibits, the parade, the Family Picnic, or any of our events, call 843-918-1014 or send us an to [email protected]