Myrtle Beach loves it’s barbecue! So, if another weekend full of barbecue, live music and silent auctions sounds like a good time to you, mark your calendars for Lakewood Camping Resort’s Third Annual Grillers Cup Hot Pickin’, Finger Lick’n BBQ Cook-Off on Sept. 30–Oct. 1. This event is open to the public and all proceeds of the cook-off, which is sanctioned by the South Carolina Barbeque Association (SCBA), will once again benefit local nonprofit Backpack Buddies of Horry County.
Friday is the wing competition and Saturday is the BBQ competition. Tasting begins Friday night at 5 PM and Saturday at 11 AM. This family affordable fun thing to do in Myrtle Beach is FREE and ticket sales to taste are only $1.00 per ticket.
The two-day event includes:
· A barbecue wing tasting competition comprised of more than 40 cooks and voted on by local celebrity judges at 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 30. The public is invited to attend and sample the wings.
· A live barbecue cooking competition featuring more than 40 cooks from South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Virginia starting at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1, with judging by the SCBA. The event opens to the public at 11 a.m. for tasting.
· An awards ceremony on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Band Stage. The ceremony will recognize all winners and includes a presentation of funds to Backpack Buddies.
· Live music performed throughout the weekend’s events.
· A silent auction full of fun prizes, which will be set up for participation throughout the weekend’s events.
Backpack Buddies of Horry County is a 100 percent volunteer-based organization that has been serving children and families in the community for more than 25 years. The organization works to arm students with the tools needed to learn and be better able to finish school for a bright future.
For more information about the event or to donate to Backpack Buddies, please call Claude McSwain at Lakewood Camping Resort, (843) 447-7383 or Carolyn Miles, (843) 447-7330.